Monday, October 30, 2006

911 yet again

About two weeks ago we had a guy in the office who was disoriented. His lip was quivering, his color was off and he just didn't look good. The First Bitch and I were both thinking he was stroking out and so I called 911. He came to before they got there and scolded us for calling. It appears that he has narcolepsy and he knew he was having an episode and he had just taken a pill. So, he comes to, chastises us, isn't fully capable of walking yet, blacks out again and wakes up again and gets the hell out of Dodge before the paramedics get here. We were totally speechless. Neither of us had seen that before. We just knew he was dying. He's come back to the office since then and he's not mad or dead. Big relief if you ask me. LOL

Today, another 911 emergency happened. I'm on the phone and a guy walks up to me and tells me he's bleeding. I'm on the phone so I hand him a Kleenex. I got off the phone and looked over at him again and looked down at his leg and HE WAS BLEEDING. He raised his pant leg and he was GUSHING blood. I mean like horror story, artery pumping blood.

I immediately went into First Responder mode. Ran to the copy room for the first aid kit and to dial 911. I grabbed a massive maxi-pad type bandage from the kit, made the man lie down on the tile floor (I didn't want blood on the carpet) and I held the pad on his gushing wound while I held his elevated leg. No gloves, no nothing. The poor guy was shaking and I thought he would pass out, his shoes were full of blood, his socks soaked, there was blood all over the tile floor near my desk..... Finally the paramedics came and took over and I went and washed my hands, told his friends he was out there with the paramedics and I made him a sandwich and got him a bottle of water. By the time I got back out to the lobby he was gone. I know he was embarassed about the situation but I was so worried about him. I sat here for a good hour in shock of it all.

Nothing is ever dull around here, that's for sure!

Now I'm waiting for number 3, things always come in 3's. Who will I call 911 for next?

2 comments:

GERBEN said...

OMG! What in the world did that guy do to hurt himself like that!?!? Geez! And I thought that I got all the crazy ass stuff at my work. Nope. YOU WIN!

~ A P R I L ~ said...

He'd cut his leg on a box a week or so before and it had partially healed but it broke open and all hell broke loose. He called me this morning to let me know things are ok, that he went to the doctor and got all bandaged up and the doctor said he's fine. I was so worried about him though!!

This was a clean cut, non-criminal client too! LOL