Wednesday, November 15, 2006

To bitch or not to bitch, that is the question

In my quaint, little Mayberryish town there is charm. There is warmth. There is uniqueness. Or rather, there was.

Our Main Street is not your normal downtown avenue. We have a half mile of serpentine roadway. We have something unlike any other town I'm aware of.

About two months ago, while driving to work, I noticed the view was off, the skyline just wasn't the same, something just wasn't right. I quickly realized that there were trees missing. I was in the southbound lane on Main and Central and there was a tree cut near Harvey's Diamonds. I think there was another tree missing down by the Friendship House.

I drove down Main Street today and realized that they are slowly, methodically removing part of the charming serpentine on the southern part of Main Street. I have heard rumors that there will be parallel parking and four lanes. I dread this. Most people don't know how to parallel park, fortunately I do, but most don't. I don't want this. I am angry that the residents of my quaint, little town didn't get to vote for this extreme change.

A few blocks north of the serpentine displacement they are building a four screen movie theater a block off of the main drag. This eyesore is also a problem. It's huge, it blocks traffic viewability and they had to close a road for it. It's a road my husband used often.

I don't know who to bitch to. I don't know if anyone cares that one person (duh, me) doesn't like the changes. I don't like that my tax dollars are being wasted on this project. I don't like that it was decided by one person or one group and not voted on by the community. I don't like where they put the movie theater, Steve Owens or north Main Street would have been a better choice. I don't know all the answers, I don't know all the questions, but I do know that I'm not impressed.

6 comments:

GERBEN said...

Ah man that sucks. Some days I wish our little town would grow some. Then other days I'm happy with the way it is. Of course you have to drive about 8 miles to the next town to even buy groceries, but that's OK.

Shannon said...

I KNOW!!! I don't know why we didn't get to vote on this. I was very upset. And I was thinking today that the movie theater could have been over where the old safeway store used to be. I don't know why they are putting it right in town next to Westco. how stupid???? Are they taking all of main out, or just what they have so far? I am mad about it too.

Jennifer said...

I agree. I hate it too. We use that road all the time. I already miss how cute our mainstreet was.. I wonder if any problems will spill into the neighborhoods from the theatre?? It is pretty close to home... By the way - you look awesome!

Shannon said...

OOOH! I love that pot rack! I have never seen a wall mounted one before. hmmmm, maybe I need to get me one of those...........

~ A P R I L ~ said...

Kidd- I hate to admit it but growth is just gonna happen no matter where you are. It sucks.

Shannon- The old Safeway bldg would have been good but I was thinking over on Steve Owens where the old Club Miami was, across from the Thunderbird Motel, or on the corner by the truck route where Drive In Java was. Who knows...... As for Main Street, I believe they are straightening the whole thing out, no curves, no planters, no nothing. I've heard (don't know if it's true) but they're talking about parallel parking and 4 lanes. It sucks.

Jennifer- I didn't use that street but Bob did all the time. I don't know about the crime but I'm sure there will be more trash on Main Street! It sucks.

Shannon- I bought a hanging pot rack at a garage sale and Bob hated it, said we needed a wall hung one because we have a drop ceiling. I found a beautiful one in a Through the Country Door catalog but it wasn't for sale. UGH! It sucks!

Jennifer said...

I never thought of the trash issue. I would love a new movie theatre however, so far it looks horrible. I hope thats just the frame. I would 'think' they would put in something that matched the other buildings on Main St instead of being a visual eye sore.