Friday, November 10, 2006

Hug your favorite Veteran today

Today is Veteran's Day. It makes me think of those I've lost. My grandfather is one. He was in the Korean war. I am not sure which branch of service but I know he served. I know he was a proud man who served his country.
My best friend's father was also a veteran. Her dad served in Vietnam. He came back a changed man. I didn't know him before and didn't know him well after, but I do know that his service time changed her life forever. His tour changed his family in ways that can not me measured.
My father was not a veteran. My father had no respect for our country or those men and women who make the wonderful choice to serve. My father was, and still is, a sad, lonely, spineless, pathetic, miserable, weak, selfish man who deserves all the pain he endures.
I don't really know many people who have served. The first person who comes to mind is the ol' Coyote. He was a Marine and he's still very proud of his service. The only person I know who's on active duty is a guy who I went to high school with. We have emailed with each other a lot over the years. He and his wife have lived all over, they just came home from Alaska and I think they're stationed in South Dakota now. Another veteran I know is a mystery. I haven't seen him for years, he was in Desert Storm and he's got three kids who were born after his tour and last I heard all three have had major health concerns. He's divorced and not having the best of luck, at least that's what I've heard. He doesn't live here anymore and I sure do miss having him in my life. He was one of my best friends when I was younger. His life isn't great now and I know he deserves better. Another great man who served in Desert Storm is a good friend of mine who I don't get to see and talk to often enough. I don't think his time spent in the Marines was necesarily a good one, I really should ask him again about his tour the next time I see him. Luckily he does live locally so that shouldn't be too hard.
I regret not serving. I regret not knowing more service men and women. I regret not understanding what is happening in Iraq. I regret what is happening to our troops in Iraq. I regret not keeping up with my dear, old friends who meant so much to me and I (hopefully) to them.
I wonder if they think of me as often as I think of them.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Hey!
Yes, I switched over to beta. I just did it yesterday and still trying to get things going. and ya I don't like to keep putting my info in.
owell.
Hope you are doing good! School is ok, just making me more insane than I already am. See ya soon!