Monday, November 20, 2006

I'm A Podunk Girl

Saturday night our little neck of the woods received a special treat. One of Miami's finest came home. Keith Anderson, a 1986 graduate of Miami High School, came back to Miami to do a free concert and shoot a video for his new single, Podunk. Candy Coburn opened for him (she's from Springfield, MO) and, like at the Big & Rich concert, she rocked. When Keith finally came out the crowd just came unglued! He had on a Miami Wardog football jersey an was just sooooooo ready to perform! He sang one song and then said that they were going to start filming his video for Podunk, they were going to sing it live once then lip sync it three more times to shoot the video at different angles, etc. By the time they hit the 3rd Podunk I was numb from the cold and ready to go home.

Yes, I live in Podunk, a.k.a. Miami, Oklahoma. His web site says Podunk has a population of 319 when in reality Miami has about 12,000 people. That's really not Podunk if you ask me. My concert-going friend Terra and I grew up in Baxter Springs, KS, about 20 minutes from here, and it was and still is a podunk kind of town. In Miami, there are about 200 per graduating class, in Baxter we had about 60. Podunk. I actually graduated from Quapaw, OK, and we had less than that, about 45 if memory serves. Bob graduated from Miami a year before Keith Anderson and honestly didn't know half of the class he spent so many years with. I knew everyone from Baxter and Quapaw, years before me too! LOL Those were true Podunk towns. Oh well, I guess to Keith Miami is Podunk even though we have more than 319 people, but to me and Terra, well, we know what Podunk really is.

Main Street was in partial chaos. We didn't have the 10,000 estimated fans but we did have a lot. There were radio stations and TV crews and people from everywhere! Pizza Hut ran out of pizzas, can you believe that? The City of Miami is in the middle of redoing Main Street so they did have part of the curves removed but we were lucky enough to be able to stand on the planter by the Miami Towers to see the concert. Everyone up there was picking off tree branches and tearing the limbs down so we could get a better view. So sad that the whole tree will come down. Oh well, I guess that's progress.

Miss Whineyhiney, Terra and her 7 year old daughter all went and Terra and her kiddo had never been to a concert before so it was very fun for them! Plus, Terra hadn't been out to do anything that didn't involve princesses or Thomas the Train for years so she was really livin' it up! We spent a lot of the night people watching and being mean. Ok, I know, it was wrong, but damn, we had to do something to entertain ourselves while they changed the set over from Candy Coburn to Keith Anderson! We were never mean to anyone really, just mocking people's hair and stuff like that. Yep, I'm a rebel.

I ran into another great old friend while at the concert. Her hubby had just gotten home from Iraq. His name is Keith too and I teased them that all the signs around town were really for him, not Keith Anderson. LOL Actually, I didn't know Keith Ande rson was coming back but I knew the other Keith was and I really thought the signs were for him! LOL Angie took a pic of us but she hasn't emailed me with it yet, as soon as she does though I'll be sure to post it!

If you haven't heard Keith's song Podunk I recommend you listen to it. I heard it 4 times Saturday and it was pretty good. Here are the lyrics.

Podunk - Keith Anderson
Same Saturday night, same ol' crowd
Draggin' Main to the Safeway then turn back around
'Til curfew and then head down to the river's edge and get drunk
Ain't nothing new, what else you gonna do out in Podunk

Well I knew this six string was my ticket out
No flashin' red light was gonna slow me down
18 years old everything that I owned in the back of that truck
I put a dip in my mouth and I headed straight outta Podunk

1st Chorus
Goodbye, daddy looked me in the eye said go where you gotta go
But don't forget to call home
And momma cried keep Jesus in your life and I hugged her one last time
And then I headed down the road in a dusty cloud of smoke
Out of Podunk

Bridge
A lot of years gone by showin' on my face
Nothing in this life that time hasn't changed
I chased a lot of dreams and some of them came true
Ain't it funny how the very place I ran from is the place I'm runnin' to

Another Saturday night singin' to the same ol' crowd
Still playin' this six-string but things are different now
I met one of them girls turn your whole world around girls
And wouldn't you know it
We got our eyes on a house 'bout a hundred miles south
Out in Podunk
2nd Chorus
Goodbye, her daddy looked me in the eye
And said go where you gotta go son but don't forget to call home
And her momma cried said keep Jesus in your life and we hugged her one last time
Then we headed down that road to start a family of our own
Out in Podunk

Repeat 2nd Chorus 2x

Yep, I am a Podunk girl.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I didn't get to go. My dh wanted to stand in line for the Wii instead... granted it is a lot of fun!! I can't wait to see the video with basically everyone I know in it. Have a nice T Day.

Irish Divinity said...

We had such a good time, I embarrassed Katlynn as usually! I mean really hollering and carrying on at a concert, how could I!! lol I really gotta get that girl to loosen up a bit! We were oh, about 8 to 10 feet from the stage, smushed right in there! Auby won the sign thing so her and chloe got to go back and get their stuff signed. I didn't even know pizza hut was selling pizza!!