Friday, August 03, 2007

conversations with my child

Miss Whineyhiney: Mom, can an oxymoron be a compound word?

Me (mom): Um, sure. (thinking to myself, hello, it's August, school doesn't start for 2 more weeks, WHY are you thinking about this shit?)

Miss Whineyhiney: Well, can you think of any examples?

Me: Ummmmmmm (pause) no. Why, in all that is Holy, are you thinking about this NOW?

Miss Whineyhiney: 'Cause school starts in just 14 days!!!!

Me: OOOOOOOh, how I know kid, how I know......

In addition to oxymorons (which are NOT bleached idiots) we also discussed hyperboles (which are pronounced high-per-bah-lee-s NOT high-per-bowls) and other English topics.

I can't believe my kid will be in 8th grade. Eighth grade. I can barely type it, I still can't say it out loud. She's going to be an office aid this year and she's totally freakin' excited about it too! She is going to take Pre Advanced Placement classes for math, science and English. She'll be pushing it but I think she can do it. I just know she can! I'm so damned proud of her, she's such a great kid!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Well, I'm glad you didn't ask me about the oxymoron thing and hyperbole thing when I saw you all in Wal-Mart a couple of nights ago. Thanx!! :)
I can't believe Brady will be in 7th. Doesn't seem possible!